Thursday, July 10, 2008

Caffeine withdrawl migraines...ugh!

Okay. I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper. Well, actually I'm addicted to the caffeine in Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper is just my fix of choice. There should be a 10 step program for caffeine addicts...Cafanon would be a good name. So, why did I decide to quit? Good question. Saturday night I was over at Ira's and I happened to get on the scale in their bathroom and discovered that I had gained 8 lbs since Craig and Katie's wedding. 8 pounds Monday morning I was watching the Today show and there was a woman on who weighed over 500 lbs. That's past tense because she doesn't weigh that much today. Anyway, she decided to just eliminate one thing each month to help her lose weight. The first to go was soda. She lost 40 lbs in one month. Pretty impressive. Since it was still early morning and I hadn't had a chance to go to my favorite watering hole for a Route 44, I decided that there was no time like the present. So no Dr. Pepper. I did great. Sunday...no DP, Monday...no DP, Tuesday.....frickin' migraine that wouldn't go away!! Wednesday....the worst migraine I've ever experienced. Finally Bruce made me take some Excedrin Migraine (it has caffeine in it..ugh). Then Craig and Bruce gave me a blessing. Anyway, I'm so angry that I've let this happen to my body that I don't have ANY desire for the best drink on Planet Earth. Okay, maybe just a little!! But I am committed. I gave up DP to lose weight, but the upside is that I'm detoxing from the overload of caffeine in my body. So here's a challenge for all you DP addicts that read this blog....and you know who you are....how about joining with me and we'll create our own little CAFANON and maybe lose a few pounds in the process. By the way, today's been a good day...no headache so far! DAY 5! WAHOO!

3 comments:

Rachel and Joshua said...

I got completely off of caffeine (ie. Dr. Pepper) our last 6 months in Japan. I felt so good! Then we moved and the jet lag and language school got to me. Then 14 months later we moved to Morocco where I switched to Coke b/c they don't have the wonderful Dr. P! Now, 10 months later I'm moving again and plan to get off of the caffeine ASAP!
I was able to handle the headaches by taking 2 Advil Gel caps (HAS to be the Gel) each morning for about 3 or 4 days before the headache (if possible). Helped a LOT! :)

Hopewell Family said...

way to go, proud of u

Olson Clan said...

Hey there! Goodness, your fam has all grown up! Great for you, taking the challenge and succeding! I should probably also take note. 40 lbs? Amazing.